Monday 27 January 2014

My hair is not a trend



If you live in Lagos and like most parts of the world, all you need is but one eye to see how mainstream natural hair has become. In Lagos you can't go anywhere without spotting a few young fashionable natural haired ladies. This "trend" has become so widespread that the brothers know how to spot the different kinds of hair. Even in my family; more and more relatives of mine are either natural or transitioning. 

I have been natural since the middle of 2011; I transitioned for six months then I big chopped in the beginning of 2012 and big chopped again in 2013. For me, natural hair was an escape from the damage I had done to my hair with relaxers, hair dyes, straighter and a general lack of proper care. At the time going natural seemed like the next logical step to take due the breakage and lack of growth I was experiencing. My hair is quite soft and silky even in its relaxed state I figured being natural wouldn’t be such a bad idea. 


I reckon around the time I was transitioning to natural there must have been a big boom in black communities across Africa. But I didn’t get the memo now… haba….someone should have told me; no one likes to carry last. If I can say one thing honestly, I didn’t really notice natural hair till I went natural myself. 

I don’t mind that natural hair is a trend; maybe more women will discover themselves and their hair by trying it out. Maybe more ladies will learn to care for their hair even though they return to the creamy crack, maybe the “movement” will grow stronger, and maybe more identities will be discovered and solidified. The “trend” adds variety to the social scene; as more curls and coils add personality to the sea of mamiwater length weaves. 

Be it a movement or here to stay; my natural hair has become part of who I am.

No comments: