Monday 14 May 2012

Waiting for prince charming in his white bentley

“Are u married? “This question seems to follow me everywhere. It is slowly becoming a much disliked one too. It seems that being married is a status that defines a woman, in Nigeria. 

I’ve always wanted to marry in my late 20s and here I am with no boyfriend or suitors in tow. I do not believe marriage is the high light of a woman’s life, but we women reach a stage of maturity where marriage is the next logical, emotional, physical, spiritual and even financial step to make. It’s a hot topic for ladies in their mid to late 20s. I seldom have a chat with my girlfriends and the topic does not arise. 

To me marriage is in accordance to God’s word, also it is to have one person I share my world with through thick and thin. We will not always be in-love with one another but the love and respect we have for each other is a bond that will see us through years of challenges, joy, sadness, laughter etc. Marriage is about raising healthy well grounded individuals who will become positively contributing members of their society. 
I am fortunate not to be pressured by my parents and family but the rate at which my mates are getting married … eh!… it’s hard not to have constant thoughts about the M word.

So many times I pray for that one person that knows me so well and vice versa that we are able to see through any storm life may throw at us. But before you start weathering life’s storms as a married couple we must get through dating and courting. That’s another ball game on its own. 

So I guess what I am trying to say is , as much as we all want to be married, these things take time, wisdom and prayers. Lord knows you don’t wanna be stuck with the wrong person. Being from a culture that looks down on divorce it is important to focus on what you have to do (Job, school, career etc) and everything else will fall into place.


1 comment:

ohmarriot said...

True talk! People should really not follow pressure and get married, it could be the worst mistake ever.