Saturday 11 August 2012

Henna Treatment

I have read a few reviews about the benefits of henna to natural hair and I've wanted to give it a try for a while now. In case you have never heard of henna, it is a natural product deduced from bark and roots of a henna plant. It has been used for thousand of years by women to color (and treat) their hair and finger nails. It is also used to dye wood and leather. Women of Muslim heritage use it to make beautiful designs on the hands and feet as they prepare to marry. 

So I heard of how great henna is for natural hair so I gave it a try. My hair isn't very thick and long yet so I needed a little more henna powder than most ladies use. The ingredients are:
  • Henna powder (between 100-150 g depending on length and volume of hair)
  • Green tea
  • Tea spoon of cinamon
  • Honey 
So I made some green tea by just soaking the tea bags on hot water. I let that cool for a few minutes, put it in a plastic bowl and added the cinnamon. I mixed in 100 grams of henna powder and honey. I mixed continuously till I got a yogurt like texture. I then applied it to my washed and conditioned hair in sections till my entire hair from root to tip was covered in henna. Do not forget to use petroleum gel on your hair line, ears and nape. After ensuring that all my hair had the henna on it, I covered my hair with a shower cap then a wrap and slept. This left the treatment in for over six hours. In the morning I washed with warm water ensuring all the henna was out of my hair. I carried a wash and go after I moisturized. I didn't think my hair could be any softer but it felt like a cloud. Also it felt strong and the color was revived from my failed dying process. So I now have strong, jet black soft hair.

Unfortunately I cant find any of the pictures I took. A few things you must do if you are  gonna try this , get a black tee shirt, news papers, black wrap/scarf and gloves. Henna can be messy and it leaves a nasty stain.

I did find a picture of a henna tattoo I got last year, it has refused to go and still on my back. It was meant to last two weeks but its has been here a year. I think my skin had a reaction to the powder.


No comments: