Friday 17 May 2013

Easy delicious home made chicken salad


As I am on the road to a healthier, fitter me I am searching for healthy meals to make without spending too much money. They say great Abs are made in the kitchen, am be cooking my way to a six pack on a budget. 

So last night, having nothing to eat at home not even unhealthily stuff I took my soon to be tone butt to the store to see what my options were in terms of buying a healthy meal without breaking the bank. I decided on a chicken salad on my way there. So I went straight to the fresh produce section to get some items then got some chicken. The items for my chicken salad were/are:

·         Chicken (two breasts)                    N500.00
·         Tomatoes                                        N200.00
·         Lettuce (the leafy kind)                  N130.00
·         Yellow bell paper (x1)                    N150.00
·         Cucumber (already @home)          N  50.00
·         Avocado (already @home)             N100.00
·         Onions (already @home)                N  50.00

In total I spent N980.00 minus the petrol I used up to get to the store lol.

Anyways…… I prepped my salad by thoroughly washing my veggies and cutting the bits I will need for just one meal. Then put the rest away for another meal, imagine N1000.00 for two meals?! I like the bits in my salads to be chucky so I cut the veggies a tad large. I layered them on to the plate and put that aside. I then took 1 chicken breast cut into small bits, seasoned with salt and mixed herbs, then sauté-ed in very little olive oil. Once it was cooked I let cool for a few minutes and put on the veggies. I used apple cider vinegar and a little olive oil to dress……. et voila!!!

Next time I will add little bits of pineapple for a little sweetness.




No comments: