Friday 27 November 2015

Postpartum hair loss



Hey guys, so in my previous post I talked about how I lost a lot of hair around my hair line mainly the front edges. I had thought it was dues to the tight weaving I had subjected my self to.

Turns out, I was wrong.

I saw a post on instagram on why TY Bello cut her hair and it got me thinking about my sudden hair loss. So I did a bit of research and it turns out I am experiencing postpartum hair loss.

I did not know this but a large number of women experience hair loss especially around the front parts of their hair, between three to six months postpartum.  This is exactly the areas where my hair has disappeared. I know this to be true because even though I am virtually bald in two spots in the front of my head; the amount of hair that is in my comb after I comb through is very unusual.

The explanation for postpartum hair loss is simple. Our hair grows in the process of growth - resting -shedding. During pregnancy, due to increased levels of estrogen, hair loss is reduced and the growing and resting phase for hair is lengthened. The hormone prevents our hair from shedding as much as it usually would. This is why most women have fuller longer, lusher hair during the months of pregnancy. After the birth of the child, the estrogen levels drastically reduce and this increases the shedding phase.

The good news is that this phase is over soon. Most women say their hair returned to it's per-pregnancy fullness before the child's first birthday. 



Even though there is nothing to you can really do to get full hair during this period of your hair journey, here are some tips to help:
  1. Consider cutting your hair and starting afresh. TY Bello did it so why can't you? We all know she had the maddest afro and that hair was life. So if she had the courage to cut her hair to start afresh, well.... you can too.... clears throat and walks away
  2. Continue taking your prenatal supplements. Not only is it good for the baby, it will be good for your hair.
  3. Change your hair style. Look to low manipulation and protective styles. I am currently rocking a short pixy cut wig. Ain't nobody got time for this heat in Lagos mehnnn. Avoid heat and pulling at you hair.
  4. Use this time to really give your hair some TLC. Deep condition, henna treatments, apple cider rinses etc etc etc.
 Knowing that I am not the only one going through this is quite encouraging. And I would happily lose more hair to have my precious little one.

Picture: birdiztheword.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i've read that tea and coffee rinses could help with post partum shedding, even applying garlic infused oils to the scalp, may help.